Wilber Law Offices is a full-service criminal defense firm serving individuals throughout Mendocino County with experienced and aggressive legal representation. If you or someone you love is being investigated by law enforcement, has been arrested, or is facing formal criminal charges, such as:
- Drug crimes
- Domestic violence
- Internet crimes
- Theft crimes
- Gun and weapons charges
- Violent crimes
- Gang-related offenses
- White-collar crimes
- Reckless driving
Turn to our dedicated team for the help you need. With more than 45 years of combined experience shared among our capable attorneys, you will benefit from our team approach with every client. Our DUI and criminal attorneys work together to ensure your case has optimum attention and professional care at every stage.
Facing DUI or other criminal charges? Call Wilber Law Offices, P.C. today at (707) 597-7977 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our criminal attorney in Mendocino County!
Hiring a local criminal attorney in Mendocino County can be beneficial for several reasons:
- Familiarity with local laws and regulations: Local criminal attorneys are familiar with the specific laws and regulations that apply in their jurisdiction. They have experience dealing with the local courts, judges, and prosecutors, which can give them an advantage in representing their clients.
- Knowledge of local legal practices: Local criminal attorneys in Mendocino County have a good understanding of the local legal practices and procedures. They know how the local courts operate, what strategies are most effective, and what arguments are likely to be successful in front of local judges and juries.
- Access to local resources: Local criminal attorneys have access to a network of resources that can help them build a strong defense for their clients. They may know local expert witnesses or investigators who can provide valuable testimony or evidence that can help their clients' cases.
- Personalized attention: Hiring a local criminal attorney can provide clients with personalized attention. They can meet with their attorney in person, which can help build a strong attorney-client relationship. Local attorneys may also be more accessible to their clients, which can be particularly important in criminal cases where time is of the essence.
- Cost-effective: Local criminal attorneys may be more cost-effective than attorneys from larger firms. They typically have lower overhead costs and may be more willing to work with clients on payment plans or reduced fees.
Overall, hiring a local Mendocino County criminal attorney can provide several benefits to clients. They offer a personalized approach, have in-depth knowledge of local legal practices, and have access to local resources that can help build a strong defense.
DUI Arrest Process
One of the most common criminal charges in Mendocino County is driving under the influence (DUI). If you are arrested for DUI, it's important to understand the process and your rights:
- Arrest: A DUI arrest often begins with a traffic stop or a checkpoint. If the officer suspects you are under alcohol or drugs, you may be asked to perform field sobriety tests or take a breathalyzer test. Refusing these tests may have consequences, so consult an attorney for guidance.
- Booking: After your DUI arrest, you will be booked, which includes recording your information and potentially setting bail.
- DMV Hearing: In California, you have a limited time to request a DMV hearing to contest the suspension of your driver's license. Failing to request this hearing promptly can result in the automatic suspension of your license.
- Criminal Court Proceedings: You will also face criminal charges in court, which can lead to fines, probation, mandatory DUI classes, and even jail time if convicted.
Criminal Process in California
Navigating the criminal justice system in California can be a daunting and overwhelming experience. Understanding the process is crucial, so let us break it down for you:
- Investigation: The criminal process often begins with an investigation by law enforcement. This phase involves gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and building a case against the alleged offender.
- Arrest: If the authorities believe they have enough evidence to support an arrest, they will take you into custody. It's important to remember that you have the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney at this stage.
- Booking: After your arrest, you will be taken to a local police station or jail for booking. This process includes recording personal information, taking fingerprints and photographs, and potentially setting bail.
- Arraignment: You will appear before a judge for your arraignment, during which you will be informed of the charges against you and asked to enter a plea (guilty, not guilty, or no contest).
- Pre-trial Proceedings: This phase involves various legal procedures, such as discovery, where evidence is exchanged between the prosecution and the defense, and negotiations with the prosecution to potentially resolve the case without going to trial.
- Trial: The case will proceed if an agreement cannot be reached during pre-trial proceedings. A skilled criminal defense attorney is crucial during this stage to challenge evidence, question witnesses, and present a strong defense on your behalf.
- Sentencing: If found guilty, the judge will determine your punishment during the sentencing phase. A well-prepared defense can help mitigate the potential consequences you face.
Will My Case Go To Trial?
Many clients wonder if their criminal case will go to trial. The decision to go to trial or seek a plea bargain depends on various factors, including the strength of the evidence, the severity of the charges, and your goals. At Wilber Law Offices, P.C., we provide guidance to help you make informed decisions:
- Negotiation: Often, we can negotiate with the prosecution to secure a favorable plea bargain, such as reduced charges or penalties. Our experienced attorneys will work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
- Trial: We will take your case to trial if a fair agreement cannot be reached. We have a strong track record of courtroom success and will vigorously advocate for your rights and interests.
- Alternative Dispositions: In some cases, alternative dispositions like diversion programs or rehabilitation may be available. These options can help you avoid a criminal record and address underlying issues.
Contact Wilber Law Offices, P.C. today to start your DUI defense in Mendocino County!
The strongest defense to a criminal charge will depend on the specific facts and circumstances of each case, as well as the applicable law in the jurisdiction where the case is being heard. However, some common types of defenses include:
- Lack of evidence: If the prosecution cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime, the defendant may be acquitted.
- Alibi: If the defendant can prove that they were somewhere else at the time the crime was committed, they may be able to establish an alibi defense.
- Self-defense: If the defendant used force to defend themselves or someone else against an immediate threat of harm, they may be able to claim self-defense.
- Insanity: If the defendant can prove that they were legally insane at the time the crime was committed, they may be able to establish an insanity defense.
- Entrapment: If law enforcement induced the defendant to commit a crime that they would not have otherwise committed, the defendant may be able to claim entrapment.
- Constitutional violations: If the defendant's rights were violated during the investigation or prosecution of the case, such as through an illegal search or seizure, they may be able to have evidence suppressed or the case dismissed.
It is important to note that not all defenses will be available in all cases, and the effectiveness of any defense will depend on the specific facts and circumstances of the case.
Start Your Defense Today
When facing criminal charges in Mendocino County, you need a dedicated and experienced legal team to protect your rights and future. We specialize in criminal defense at Wilber Law Offices, P.C., and will stand by you throughout the legal process. Whether you're facing a DUI charge or a more serious criminal allegation, we have the knowledge and expertise to provide you with the best possible defense.
Contact Wilber Law Offices, P.C. today to schedule a consultation with our criminal lawyer in Mendocino County!
“I believe you were God sent because the times where I felt discouraged and felt like giving up your encouragement and support helped me to once again stand and be confident in the type of man I am and the heart that I have.” - Former Client
“One of the best experiences in my life. Professional, courteous and understanding through whole process.” - Scott J.
“If you need legal help I fully recommend them! If your looking for an experienced trial lawyer this is the team you want to hire.” - William H.
At Wilber Law Offices, our Mendocino County criminal defense attorneys know that facing the criminal justice system can be one of the most stressful experiences in your life. You may not know what to expect, how to react, or may have misconceptions about the law, your case, and how it all works. That is to be expected and that is why you need a professional on your side whose only job is to protect your best interests and counsel you throughout your ordeal.
Your Case is our Top Priority
When you retain our services, you and your criminal defense case become our priority.
- We listen to your story and your concerns followed by our own investigation into your arrest and the surrounding circumstances.
- Through thorough research and analysis, we build a well-prepared defense strategy that will put you in the strongest legal position possible for negotiations with the prosecutor or a trial in court.
As seasoned trial lawyers, our team will never hesitate to prepare for and conduct a trial should that be the right action for your situation. You can count on our relentless and aggressive efforts to help you secure the best possible result, whether that is a case dismissal, reduced charges, reduced sentencing, a diversion program where appropriate, or an acquittal.
To better serve all of our clients, we offer a free case evaluation upfront and affordable payment plans. Let us help you through this critical time with the professional services you need that can reduce stress, turmoil, and uncertainty.